Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Joys of a New Medication

I started the estrogen blocker on Thursday. The name of it is Arimidex (Anastrozole). According to Carol, nurse practitioner at Dr. Romer's office, the major side effect is bone pain. I was not too concerned since I have a pretty high pain tolerance from living with lupus and fibromyalgia for so many years. Boy, howdy, was I wrong. I rarely wake up in the morning in pain, stiff yes, pain no. It hurt really badly along my tibia and my hips. I took tylenol right away and wondered if I should have taken a vicodin instead. I prefer to go with the lighter medication first. I did take a hot bath after breakfast which helped. Hopefully some of the problem is because it is a stormy day. I always hurt more when the barometric pressure goes down.

Arimidex is the medication I have to take for five years. Other side effects include some of the other things I have been complaining about like fatique and weakness. Of course most of the medications I take include those side effects so I hope my body adjusts fairly rapidly. I tell you, treatment for cancer is not for sissies.

My friend, Deni, brought me supper last night. She has some cool new mobiles she is working on. I am still plugging away on the choker part of my necklace. My goal is to not take any more of it out. I love the colors and the texture - blues and browns and a mixture of matt and shiny beads and round and square shapes. I am thinking about stsrting a blog about creativity - specifically about how important it is to me and how it keeps my spirit together. Right now I am taking a look at other blogs.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kay,
    I know what you mean about Arimidex. I took it for five years and every day I was stiff and sore and felt like I was 80. The only thing that got me through those years was walking and exercise--daily. If I missed a day, boy, howdy! I paid for it. When I stopped Arimidex, I began to feel better in three days.

    Statistics show most women who stop Arimidex do so because of how it makes them feel, and that younger women are more inclined to stop. It does reduce risk of recurrence, so hope you can hang in there.

    Best,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda,
    Thanks for your response. It does help to hear other people's experiences.

    My cancer was so highly estrogen positive that I definitely don't want to stop taking an estrogen blocker. I am an occupational therapist and analyze and compare everything. So I'll take some time to see if the change in pain level is constant. My doctor already said there are other options for the medication. One thing I have become much better at since the cancer diagnosis is being self-protective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on Arimidex as well Bone pai and joint pain is also my biggest complaint. Mornings are the worst, I also have problems when the weather changes or if I sit too long. Best advice I can give you is to keep moving, it does seem to help. There is another estrogen blocker you can take if need be. I think it is aromsin, has a little bit of steroid in it. Hang in there, you are right about one thing, cancer is not for sissies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Maryann. It has been better since the first morning. I am assuming the storms added to it. I am moving more and doing more these days since the chemotherapy is over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay, I would love to see you blog about creativity. It would be good for you and great for me. ;-)

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate,
    I did start my creativity blog. The address is acreativeessence.blogspot.com
    I have one post so far. One of my goals today is to take pictures of my companion piece to the one I blogged about. I need some advice. I am also thinking of taking pictures of older projects and talking about the process. You know - the ones that worked and the ones that didn't. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete