Saturday, July 23, 2011

Surgery Report

The foot surgery went well and was actually not as extensive as Dr. Malusky thought it would be.

I was pleased at my level of strength and endurance as I walked into the hospital and up to Riverview. Two weeks ago I was exhausted by the time I got there. Friday my knees hurt the whole way (a week without anti- inflammatories) but I wasn't tired. As I got ready for the surgery I had quite a team. Two anaesthesiologists (only one stayed for the surgery), the company representative for the external fixator, and the surgeon, besides the surgical nurses. I got to see the equipment before they put it on, although they weren't sure exactly how much they were going to use. I also ended up with a bone stimulator and they had a possible bone graft. I certainly had informed consent by the time they were done.

Once they released the big toe and got it into position the metatasal moved into the correct position. They decided they didn't have to do an osteotomy so no bone graft needed. That means faster recovery time. Yeah!!! Of course this was the report to Becky and Trish while I was in the recovery room. I'll have more questions when I go into the office in two weeks.

So I came home today. Trish brought me home and Nan met us at the condo. Trish had to get back to Columbus so Nan stayed the aftenoon with me. Then we changed guard with Becky for supper. It was good to have Nan to check me out and make sure I was safe. Now I am on my own but everything is organized. I feel fine. Energy level is good. Pain is under control. Anti-inflammatories have been reinstated. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment