Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hair Watch day 10

My hair is supposed to start falling out between 7 and 10 days after the first chemo. So far everything seems normal in the hair department. It is nice that this is one of the ways that I don't fit the pattern. Every day with all of my hair is a blessing. I think I am so obsessed with the whole bald thing because it is like a flashing neon sign that says "I'm having chemotherapy." Of course that brands you with the big red C for cancer. People look at you differently.

Some of my second year students are coming to visit today. I love being able to stay connected to them and hear all of the classroom stories. I spent extra time figuring out what to wear because a couple of the students are guys. I am much more self conscious about the body distortion around men. I can't get the prosthetic bra fitted yet because I still have so much fluid buildup in the mastectomy site.

Yesterday was my daughter Becky's birthday. I can't believe I didn't remember that when she called to check on me. It is so easy to get self-absorbed in my own drama.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if this will help with the hair loss but mom was excited about it. It was a reminder that the chemo was working & killing all the bad cells. It may also take you a session or 2 for it to make your hair grow out. Another thing, I've always said if/when I have chemo, I'm getting the curliest wig I can find. Maybe you could try straight hair, unless you love your curly locks, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is definitely a positive way of looking at things. I haven't decided if I am going to get a wig. If I do I am thinking something red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember, "Red hair is an attitude, not a color". You are definitely red-headed in your soul. ;-)

    ReplyDelete