Monday, February 14, 2011

The beat goes on

This has been another uncomfortable day. The headache and nausea persist and the fever slowly continues to climb. I learned the value of paying attention to the names of caregivers. I called the oncologist's office around 9 this morning. Since I didn't remember the name of the medical assistant I ended up talking to a nurse. She took down my list of symptoms and said she would leave a message for Rhonda, Dr. Romer's assistant.

I had not heard anything back by 1:30 so I called again. This time I asked for Rhonda. Rhonda never got the message. I am still in a wait and see mode. I had to stop Tylenol (or anything else for pain) to see how high the fever climbs. I switched from zofran to phenergen for nausea. Then I am supposed to push fluids for the headache. I am really thrilled about that one. I already feel like I slosh when I walk.

A friend brought some macaroni salad and roasted chicken yesterday. That and some cold grapes is all that sounds edible to me today. Becky is ready to supply me with my daily dose of chocolate. Chocolate is definitely not on my currently edible list. Boy, is that a change.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kay,

    I'm just checking in again with you -- sorry to hear that you are experiencing such discomfort... I hesitate to call cause I know you're not feeling well and I wished I could have made to your house before you started taking the chemo... but anytime you feel like talking (I won't hold my breath :)) and/or feeling halfway decent and mucho bored -- let me know and we'll do the girls afternoon thingie...

    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, I hope they find the right mix of meds to manage the side effects. It's no fun when you feel crappy (that's one of those big medical terms we learned in school). The only thing you are missing at SCC this afternoon is DCC and Leadership Team (you can thank me later). Sending you positive thoughts!

    dave

    ReplyDelete