Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Big Day

Today is when I start my chemotherapy for breast cancer. It is almost 3 am and I can't sleep. I finally got my port put in today so they don't have to find a vein each time. That was its own separate ordeal.

The initial try was last Friday. After 14 attempts in my chest and one in my neck, they gave up. I am totally black and yellow from the bruising. I went back to the hospital today to nuclear medicine and had a venogram and then the port was put in using an angiogram so they could see what they were doing. The good news is that I am normal and there is no anatomical block. But there is also no explanation for why they had so much trouble. I was told that sometimes it just doesn't work. So much for scientific explanations.

I am really upset and nervous about chemo. I don't know what kind of reaction to expect. Medical "wisdom" says wait and see. As an answer to my anxiety that doesn't do much for me.

After cruising the net for information I have planned my "chemo bag". I'll take my IPad so I can read or play games and listen to music; cell phone; light snacks, and a water bottle so I can sip ice water. They have blankets and pillows there.

No comments:

Post a Comment