Thursday, September 8, 2011

Starting School

Today was the first day of classes. Thank goodness for Colleen's scooter. Even walking around the lab must have been more than I have been doing because the foot started hurting. For the afternoon class I pretty much stayed with the scooter. What was a hoot was watching me try to get the scooter out of my office. I won't do that again.

I did get rid of my second breast drain on Tuesday. Now we are running a race to increase the size of the expander fast enough that fluid doesn't collect. So far the fluid is winning and at my appointment tomorrow Dr. Hicks will have to drain some fluid from the seroma and put fluid into the expander. One of the things we are trying is keeping pressure on the area so I am padding my bra. If someone had told me that someday I would be padding my bra I absolutely would not have believed it. I am so glad it is cold enough for layers. They are good for hiding all the lumps and bumps and uneven boobs.

My hair now hides my scalp and is pretty thick. Some students think I should ditch the hats and go with the short look. I don't know if I am quite ready for that. I am going to call my hairdresser and get it evened up and see what she says. It is so fine in some areas and almost furry in others. I have been told to expect changes in color and texture as the hair grows back in after chemo. No one has said anything about it being different in different parts of the head. It would be nice to not be weird for some part of this whole experience.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, the start of another school year, I'm a bit envious. I think I might have a post coming soon on that. I love the start of the school year... Hope your doctor appt goes well. My hair is still so awful and I think mine is different on different parts of my head too! I can't give up my head cover yet when I'm out and about. I know it's silly, but...

    Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. I can't tell you what the feedback means to me...

    ReplyDelete