Tuesday, September 20, 2011

All Wrapped Up

We haven't been making much progress on the swelling in my hand and arm.  It is not getting any worse but it is not getting any better either.  Wrapping is a frequently used method of controlling the swelling.  Since I don't have anyone to help me with the wrapping we have been trying a variety of other techniques.  The wraps are intended to put steady pressure on the hand and arm and move the fluid up the arm.  They are multilayered, bulky and ugly.

Today I joined the millions of women who are post mastectomy and use wrapping to help control swelling in their fight with lymphedema.  It is one more assault on body image and self esteem.  It is one more reminder that cancer changes your life and body forever in ways you can't imagine when you start the journey.  The good news is the hand and arm ache less when wrapped.  The bad news is I have no idea how I am going to rewrap the arm by myself.  We are going to do a lot of practicing on that on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment