Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What I Am Doing on My Summer Vacation

Dr. Romer gave the OK for the surgeries to begin the week of July 18.  I saw the plastic surgeon yesterday and the foot surgeon today.  The plan is for the foot surgery to be scheduled July 20, 21 or 22.  I would rather do it on the 20th, the doctor would rather do it the 22nd.  Hmm, guess who will probably win out on that one.  He says six weeks recovery.  I will have an external fixator (lots of metal) on the foot, be non-weight bearing for two weeks and then wear a boot with the side cut out to make room for the fixator.  I have given up on not looking weird this year.  It is definitely a lost cause.

With the foot surgeon's permission breast reconstruction will start the week of the August 15.  I  will have definite dates next week.  Dr. Hicks says they go in through the mastectomy scar, under the muscles and put in a spacer to stretch the muscles and create a pocket for the implant.  He says recovery from this is about a week because of the pain.  Yeah,  I am so thrilled.  Hopefully he prescribes some good drugs.  Then every couple of weeks they add more saline until the space is the right size for the implant.  I'm assuming that will be "uncomfortable" too.  Probably won't get any additional drugs for those injections, though.  The whole process takes about three months.

I am so not having fun this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment