Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Breast Saga Continued

I had appointments with both the infectious disease doctor and my plastic surgeon this morning. The cellulitis looks much worse than it did when I left the hospital. It is very red again, mottled, and definitely over a larger area on both breasts. I was put back on Invanz, the second antibiotic I was on in the hospital. Maybe it was the combination that was working. I had an IV at the doctor's office and got a killer headache. I did have headaches when I was on the drugs in the hospital but not as bad as this one. They gave me Tylenol and benedryl. It helped but then I was sleepy and came home for a nap. At this point I am very depressed and discouraged. Enough is enough already.

I did ask Dr. Weinstein the name of the organism which was cultured. It is staph epidermis which everyone has on their skin. People with compromised immune systems, for which I am the poster child, and people with plastic medical implants are susceptible to infections from it. That makes it a stronger possibility that it could be the expander. When I talked to Dr. Hicks he said we could go ahead and take the expander out now. I am definitely not ready to agree to yet another surgery so soon. He said that was fine unless he thought my health was compromised by leaving it in. Then he would make the decision for me. Alrighty then.

No comments:

Post a Comment